Monday, November 16, 2009

Grateful ... Curious ... Overwhelmed

I have been planning Lincoln's First Birthday party for a while now for months!  I am so excited!  I have been working on some projects I was inspired to do after looking for party decor online.  We are going with a Blue and Green theme, no animated characters allowed.  I think we'll have years to pick out themed party decor, so in trying to keep it simple (hahaha, keep reading) I just bought colored plates and napkins.  I made a collage of pictures of Lincoln from his first year and I just love it!  I made a banner with a picture from every month of his little life so far.  It is 13 pictures long, starting with a picture from when he was just 3 days old and ending with a picture from Saturday.  I have made a banner to go on his high chair, for when he digs into a smash cake I'm making him.  We tested the process out for a photoshoot we had done and with David helping me decorate I LOVE how it turned out!  And the last banner I made says "Happy 1st Birthday Lincoln".  Each letter is on a circle or square and strung onto ribbon.  We also made a 2.5 or 3 foot tall 1 for the front door with a welcome sign. 

I am grateful (trying to be), overwhelmed and curious because everyone we invited to Lincoln's party has RSVP-ed.  Everyone!  I mean , its great that my son is loved and everyone wants to be a part of his day, but never did I think that my guest list would reach 40 of our family and friends!  All these guests will be squeezing into our townhouse.  The party is at 3:30 in the afternoon, planned that way so that hopefully we wouldn't have to really feed people, but I do like entertaining so I had some things planned.  However, I have reigned that in quite a bit.  We're having ham biscuits, pasta salad, carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli w/ ranch and chips and dip.  We'll also serve cupcakes and ice cream. 

I have no idea how Lincoln will react to so many people, but if I have to guess, he'll probably be shy and nervous for a few and then be just fine.  I have read some things about babies getting overstimulated in a big crowd, frightened by everyone singing to hm and even not liking the attention of everyone watching them open gifts.  But knowing Lincoln and how outgoing and friendly he is, after a few moments he'll be just fine.  Plus people should arrive in a trickle and not all at once, so that'll help too!  Hopefully the weather will be nice and our guest can be in the living room, kitchen and out on the back deck and in the yard.  I have no expectations and am just hoping that everyone squeezes in and has a good time!

No comments: