Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Trying to remember...

Just a year ago Lincoln was a tiny baby who came into our home and took over our lives and hearts!  We truly wouldn't have it any other way!

I want to jot down some things, so that if and when we might be blessed with another tiny little person we will look back at this and maybe remember a little bit.

1- Sleeping when baby sleeps:  This is advice we took straight to our pillows. I had made a decision that since I would only have 6 weeks off from work that I would make the most of it and soak up as much time with my son as I could.  I have to say I am so glad that I did.  I missed him desperately when I returned to work and I will always treasure those 6 weeks, lounging on the couch, sleeping, watching The West Wing or One Tree Hill, staring at your little face and body and just adoring you.  We rarely went anywhere or had visitors durning that time, just Lincoln and me, curled up and loving it!

2- Middle of the Night:  Have bottles already made, and waiting in a cooler for middle of the night feedings or have formula and water pre-measured and mix on demand.  Having a c-section prevented me from going up/down stairs too much, so this was important!  We gave Lincoln his last bottle around 10:30 or 11 p.m. and went to bed.  The first two months he was up twice in that time and would eat and go back to sleep.  Lincoln was and is the best baby and we were very rarely up for long periods in the middle of the night.  I can really only remember once, maybe twice- sadly hormones had me thinking it was the worst night ever and I am sure I was in tears over this.  ( Around 3.5 months we tried cereal in his bottle, sometimes it helped his sleep longer and sometimes not.  Once Lincoln was around 5 months old we were told that he no longer needed to eat in the middle of the night.  Over a couple of nights, really that fast, we made that bottle smaller and smaller, until we went in rocked him or patted his butt for a moment and he would go back to sleep.  Since he was about 8 months old, if he wakes in the middle of the night, we'll wait to see if he will settle himself or go in and pat his bottom. 

3- Bassinet v. Crib:  Putting Lincoln in his crib, in his room was impossible for me to think about being so far from him.  Now, I think now that it sounds irrational, but when you carry this person around with you, all the time for 9 months, and then have to put him in another room was not something I was willing to do, at all!  Lincoln did not begin sleeping in his own room until he was nearly 4 months old.  Partly because we were travelling to visit family and I saw no need to get him out of the pack and play and into his crib at home, then to travel and put him back in the back and play.  His transition to his room was easy and now if he is in the room with us, it is obvious that none of us are sleeping well.

4- Back to sleep: Lincoln always seemed to be very uncomfortable on his back once he passed 5 weeks old. We had been told about, and given alot of information on SIDS and I felt like something like that happening to Lincoln would be a nightmare. At the suggestion of Lincoln's babysitter we began putting Lincoln to sleep on his side with his back against the side of the bassinet.  This worked for us.  I can't say I didn't worry, but I felt comfortable knowing he was sleeping well and right next to me. 

5- C-Section/Abdominal Surgery Recovery: Use a pillow against your belly when sitting up.  Pack a bag going up/down stairs so you minimize multiple trips.

Lincoln now sleeps from 7:30 or 8 p.m. until 8 a.m.  On the weekends sometimes he'll sleep until 9 or so!! Awesome!  When he was tiny we'd put him to be late; I guess we've just made what time he goes to bed earlier as he's been sleeping longer- I don't know.  Lincoln has made alot of this very easy on us and we cannot be credited with much of anything. 

We are so blessed to be parents to Lincoln and really make an effort to remember to be grateful he is such a good baby, now toddler.

No comments: