Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happiness...

We tend to seek happiness when happiness is actually a choice.


People who make big decisions based on happiness, especially when not considering if or how their pursuits effect other people, make me very angry. 

As a good friend, child, parent and person in general (I hope), I try to make the best decisions for myself and my family.  I put my husband and son first, extended family, friends, myself, further down on that list.  I learned a long time ago that sometimes people forget that sometimes other's happiness should come before your own.  Especially in a situation where you immediate family is affected.  Sacrificing your parents, spouse and/or childrens happiness for your's isn't a equitable trade off.  I think if you're not happy in a situation, that you need to evaluate your commitments and who else will be affected if you make changes in your life.

That all being said, I think happiness is crap.  It is a fleeting emotion as predictable as the weather (sarcasm).  It'll come and go in a gentle breeze.  I think we as humans are not perfect and yet so often, we seek a perfect life, free of problems and really that isn't even a possiblity for us.  Happiness is a fleeting feeling and maybe what we should more often be pursuing is the Joy of our mundane daily lives and God's presence in it!

No comments: